Sunday, September 27, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Babes....


For a week now, I have heard Keira's little voice calling from the back of the car, "Dis?" "Dis?" "Dis?" I had no clue what she was talking about. I had to point to several things before I figured out that she was asking for her sippie cup. It never clicked in my mind that "Dis?" meant "This." It took me one week to figure that out. What kind of dense mommy am I that I didn't figure that out right away?

And, why would her first word be "This?" Hmmm...that's probably because I forget to call the object I am referring to and I only point at this and say, "this....do you want this? Is this what you want?" That was an awakening for me. I must expand my vocabulary and remember to call the object by it's real name time so that she doesn't just speak in pronouns.

Let's add to her repertoire "mer", which means "more", in Norwegian. And, she can shake her head for "no", and we're teaching her to shrug her shoulders for "I don't know." She'll be a Rhodes Scholar soon, I just know it! :)

1 comment:

  1. "Dis" is soooooo funny to me. Two of Nicholas' first words were "dis" and beba (zebra). So I laugh!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message