Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I survived

I survived an hour at the daycare (barnehage) today with Keira. I say "survived" because I've been so dreading the day when I would have to let her go. I've been so sad and depressed and close to tears for the day that she would begin at the barnehage.

I agreed with the caregiver yesterday that Keira and I would visit today. I was pretty skeptical when I got there...I mean, I think that I wanted to be skeptical in way. I fully did not expect that the barnehage would be so cozy and fun or that Kari (her caregiver) would be so nice.

Kari has two HUGE dogs who look like little ponies with hair and two cats. When we arrived, the giant size pony dogs were jumping all over us and on Keira and all Keira did was to laugh. She wasn't afraid at all. She just ran inside and started sliding down the slide and petting the cat. She was having a grand ol' time. Mamma? Mamma who?

As it turns out, today was the first of a three day orientation period. The first day, Kari likes for the parents to come with the children and stay for an hour or so. The second day, I'm supposed to deliver her, and then leave her after 30 minutes and come pick her back up in an hour. The third day, I'm supposed to deliver her, stay 15 minutes and not pick her up again until after her nap. The fourth day, she stays all day at the day care and so begins the routine.

I told Kari that I wasn't planning on delivering her until next week because I wanted to spend more time with her...selfish person that I am. But, I was told (very nicely) that it was best to begin the orientation right away, especially since the last week in February is winter holiday week. Keira needed time to bond with the other children and with her and to get used to coming every day.

I fought the idea. Believe me. I said I had to think about it and there were a lot of preparations that I had to do and so on and so on. But, really, as I am writing this, I know that the best thing to do is to let her start. She looked like she was having such a good time.

Fine. Leave me. Sniffle. Sniffle.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a message